Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Chapter Fifteen.

     One of the most frequent comments I get about this blog goes something like this: You're so honest about your life. That takes a lot of courage. Another, only slightly-less frequent comment is something to the effect of, Holy shit, dude. Did you really just put that out there for the whole universe to see? 
     
     And on that note, I present the latest (and shortest, which may be ironic, I can't tell yet) chapter of Making Sh*t Up: An Improvised Life, which is a memoir of my life, good, bad, and sometimes a little...sticky. Enjoy.

Chapter Fifteen
Giving Myself A Hand

    
When I was twelve years old, two things happened in my life around the same time, both of which had a profound impact on my development. The first was, a neighborhood friend discovered a pile of old Playboy magazines in a dumpster. The second was, my mom’s hot water bottle mysteriously vanished, never to be seen (by her) again.

MISSING.
Last seen: around 1979, in the vicinity of Larry's bedroom
If found, do NOT attempt contact. But do burn the fucking thing. Seriously.


     [Author’s Note: I am about to start talking about masturbation. You know, that thing that everybody you know says they don’t do, which is probably true, except for the part where everybody in the world does it. All the time. If you are at all offended about a person being honest about a thing that honestly most everybody on the planet – and throughout history – has done, and continues to do, then you are living at a level of denial that even professional therapy is not likely to make a dent in. You should stop reading right now, find someplace quiet and private, and rub one out. Because you really, really need to.]
     When I discovered masturbation it was, to be woefully understated, the greatest thing in the history of ever. My life began to revolve around four things: Eating, Sleeping, Watching TV, and Spanking The Monkey. (That is not the order of importance; I had to eat and sleep to fuel and refresh myself for jerking off. TV was a bonus.) I told no one about my discovery, not my closest friends. Not because I was embarrassed, mind you, but because I was that selfish. I figured I had to be the only kid in all of Conroe – maybe the entire state of Texas – who had figured out the sheer gratification of doing the Five-Knuckle Shuffle. I wasn’t about to just give that information up.
     I can’t remember when I became conscious of every young boy’s curse – The Curse of the Perpetual Boner – but by the time I was twelve it was beginning to get socially awkward. Walking around school with a tiny tent-pole all the time was starting to get me noticed in ways that had nothing to do with my sense of humor. It was always one of those marathon erections that nowadays, at my age, they would tell me to seek medical attention for. Back then it was an embarrassing nuisance. Teenage boys eventually figure out how to hide their boners; clothing choice and positioning are key components. But when you’re twelve there is a learning curve, including how to even walk normally while sporting a raging hard-on. Because shuffling down the hall hunched over like Quasimodo was always a dead giveaway. A kid might as well have hung a tiny sign on his dick that read Sanctuary!
     But, now that I could go home and spank little Johnnie behind the ears, I could at least get rid of my miniature wonder-weasel for a while. No, I’m not going into detail here; everybody has their own method, speed and style – women as well as men – and to each his or her own. Whatever works for you is what works. Period. But, like I said: Mom never saw that hot water bottle again.
     Despite the variety and veracity of warnings I heard about frequent masturbation as a kid, I did not go blind. Nor did I grow hair on my palms. My penis did not fall off. I was not struck by lightning and cast into the Fiery Pit. Not that I didn’t take these warnings seriously, mind you; I had been a Cub Scout, if only briefly. I was prepared. I didn’t need my eyesight to jerk off. I stole one of my dad’s disposable razors and kept it under my sink in case of hairy palms, and we had super glue in the garage if my winky did pop off. In the case of being struck down by God for doing something that seemed so natural, I rolled the dice.
     I’m still rolling those dice.

     Next Week, Chapter Sixteen: New York (First Interlude)

     Make A Contribution To The Book By Clicking HERE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment