Thursday, February 18, 2016

Chapter Seventeen.

     I love New York City. I've had the coolest and craziest experiences there. Like the time I saw Darryl Hall fall out of a limo. I don't mean he got out of the limo and then fell down. He was falling before he got out of the car. His whole body just sort of poured itself onto the curb of Le Parker Meridien Hotel, and then he (kind of) stood up, adjusted his sunglasses (it was 11:45PM), and walked into the hotel at a 45 degree angle. 
     Or the time I went to a classy gay bar with my classy gay friends, and got hit on for two solid hours. Including one lovely and sassy Asian man who kept imploring me to "ditch the bitch, and switch." (My ex-wife did not find that amusing. At all.) Gay men are awesome for your self-esteem.
     But there were some things about life in the Big Apple that just made zero sense to me, and this is one of those stories. And so, here is the next chapter in my memoir Making Sh*t Up: An Improvised Life. I miss you, New York. Let's get together soon.

Chapter Seventeen
New York (Second Interlude)



  
  Every place in the world has its weird cultural thing (or things), and New York has one that, often as I had visited, I never knew about until I moved there.  Most parts of the world I’ve been to, when people meet you for the first time they want to know two things: where ya from, and what do you do for a living? Upon my arrival in New York I found a third question almost always followed the first two.
     Who’s your therapist?
     No shit. I could not count on fingers and toes how many times I was asked that question during my first month living in New York. Every time I was introduced to someone new in my expanding professional or personal circles, I got asked that. Who’s your therapist? The way somebody would ask what I gym I worked out in, or whether I preferred boxers or briefs. And every time I responded that I didn’t have a therapist, I got this by way of reply:
     “Oh. Okay.”
     I quickly learned that, in New York, “Oh. Okay,” is the Northern counterpart to “Bless your heart.” It started to get awkward. I began to have anxiety. And so, about a month after settling into my apartment in New York, I was convinced I needed therapy.
     I’d had counseling before that. Never as a teenager, when I really could have used it. After I got married and successful (a relative term) in television, I thought it might be a good idea to once and for all put my troubled family history in front of my adult eyes and deal with it, under the supervision of someone who was supposed to be qualified and helpful in navigating such treacherous emotional waters. Now: before I piss off every professional counselor and therapist in the universe – including some very cherished friends – let me state, for the record, that I do not believe that all therapists, counselors, psychiatrists and psychologists are overpaid, overeducated intellectual and character snobs, with way more degrees and superiority complexes than common fucking sense. Just the ones I worked with. Okay?
     I’m told that, in order for therapy to be successful, you have to be open to it. Maybe that had been my problem back in Texas; I wasn’t open to it. I had two or three counselor types before moving to New York, and felt like they had all been a colossal waste of time and money. I’d had drill sergeants that were better at understanding people, and they didn’t charge me $115 an hour. After a month in New York, my fear (which I developed in the course of making new friends who were New Yorkers) was that living in the city would, in short order, drive one bat-shit crazy unless one had a competent therapist to act as a bulwark against the daily tide of shit and misery that was (supposedly) part and parcel of living in New York City.
     So I got an appointment with a therapist, based on a recommendation from one of my agents in the city. I decided to be as open-minded and truthful as possible, which is never a bad decision, I believe. I arrived at her office at the appointed time, shook her hand, sat across from her in a reasonably comfortable chair, and she began.
     “So, Larry. What brings you here today?”
     Me: “I have no idea.”
     Her: “Well, something must have motivated you to make the appointment. Let’s talk about that.”
     Me: “Okay. I’ve been living here for a month now, and every time I meet someone new, the third question I always get is, ‘Who’s your therapist?’ And every time I say I haven’t got one, people look at me kind of queer and say, ‘Oh. Okay,’ which sounds a lot to my ear like ‘Bless your heart,’ which is really a Texas Christian’s way of saying, ‘You poor fucking bastard. Better you than me.’ So I figured I better get a therapist, so I can at least stop making the natives so uncomfortable when they ask me that question.”
     Her (long pause): “Um, okay. (another pause) Was there, maybe, any other reason you made an appointment with a licensed professional therapist today?
     Me: “I guess I could regale you with my dad’s suicide when I was thirteen, and my mother’s ongoing alcoholism. I’m a pretty frequent masturbator – not, like, in public, or anything, but I do jack off a lot. None of that really is why I’m here today, though. Truth is, I now believe that some of my New York friends collect and try out therapists the way other people do wine, or Scotch, or cigars or jewelry. Seems like a status thing to me. Not that they don’t get any real emotional benefit from it, mind you. At least, I’m sure some of them do. It’s just that I don’t think I need a therapist just because some people find it awkward – or even downright strange – that I don’t have one. Because I don’t really give a shit what people think about me. They can choose to like me without a therapist, or they can fuck themselves.”
     Her (long, thoughtful pause): “Well. Sounds like we’ve made some good progress today.”
     I swear to God she actually said that.
     I did not go back to her, or any therapist, after that day. I did, quite by coincidence, run into her a month later on the subway. What I mean is, I saw her. And she clearly saw me. And then she spent the next several minutes of the train ride studiously avoiding seeing me, which was funny because I was standing right in front of her. I don’t know if there’s some rule, written or unwritten, that therapists are never, ever supposed to talk to clients (or former clients) outside of the office with the reasonably comfortable chair. All I know is that she was doing eye acrobatics to avoid looking directly in front of her. I entertained – just for a second – the idea of opening a conversation, that would begin something like, “Hey, Doc, it’s me! Larry! You know, dad’s suicide / mom’s an alcoholic / raging masturbator from Texas? No? Doesn’t ring a bell?” I managed to keep my mouth shut, and she jumped off the train three full stops from where I knew her office was located. Maybe she was out on errands, and she meant to get off there all along.
     But I don’t think so.

     Next Week, Chapter Eighteen: Boo.

     Make A Contribution To The Book By Clicking HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment