Thursday, March 10, 2016

Chapter Twenty.

     So, I remembered this morning that I actually posted this chapter before, way back when I was still in the middle of writing the book, and wasn't too confident that I could actually finish writing it. Except I did finish writing it, and I have been publishing one chapter a week for the last nineteen weeks, and it would be kind of stupid not to publish this one just because I'd previously put it out here. Besides all that, it's a pretty good chapter, and one every aspiring actor should probably read. Because you might not be an aspiring actor by the time you finish it, and you might just decide it's worth working just a little harder in school so you can get a real job. I'm nothing if not a cautionary tale.

     Anyway: here's is the latest chapter of Making Sh*t Up: An Improvised Life. Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty
Commercials and Shit
  
  The first commercial I ever did I was dressed up as a giant green number 5. No shit. The Texas Lottery was launching a new game – or, as some would state it, a new way to take money from desperate people who had a better chance of being struck by lightning while being mauled by a grizzly than they had of winning the lottery. The game was called Pick 3, and some ad guys in a room somewhere, who drank way too much coffee and probably never liked actors, thought it would be a capital idea to dress ten people up in giant, foam-rubber Gumby costumes shaped like numbers. I was the fifth of those people.
Like this. Except I was Number 5. Also, I'm not black.

     I think we shot the commercial on the stage of The Majestic Theater in Dallas. I also thought the Majestic had not been paying its utility bills, because the A/C was off, and it was summer, and I was in a black unitard and wearing a huge foam costume that sealed in, rather than ventilated, heat. I later learned that the producers turned off the air conditioning because it was too loud, and it interfered with the recording of our dialogue. That there were ten of us in suffocating costumes, in an old theater in the middle of a sweltering summer, with no conditioned air, seems not to have bothered – or even occurred – to the director, producer, and ad agency folk. At least, not until a couple of the female numbers started to pass out from heat exhaustion and dehydration.
     I was the “spokesperson” for the spot, which meant I had the most lines. There weren’t many, as this was only a thirty second commercial. But I found it difficult to concentrate, suffocating as I was and about to drown in my own sweat. People who work on commercials very often have to solve problems on the fly, because when ad agency guys think up the crazy shit they want actors to do, they rarely pause in their brainstorming to consider potential problems. Example: Once we all got into our costumes (no easy feat), we soon discovered that mine had a problem. Picture the number 5 in your head. See that straight line across the top? That was resting on top of my head, and my face was poking out in the sidewall of the 5. Except the costume was made of foam rubber, and so the top line of the 5 drooped on either side, making me look like a very depressed and sad number. What was needed was something to place on the inside of the top of my costume that would keep the foam rubber straight and true.
     Somebody’s ingenious solution? Glue a piece of two-by-four inside the top of the costume. And it worked.  The top of the 5 stayed straight and true. The problem (only for me, and nobody else) was that the two-by-four now rested on my head. And the costume weighed in excess of twenty pounds. And I wore that costume for ten-plus hours. I still have a groove in my head, in the shape of a two-by-four.
     I wasn’t the guy who got the worst of it that day. The dude who played Number 0 was asked by the director if he’d be willing to try a cartwheel across the stage – because what’s funnier than a cartwheeling 0? As we all wanted to make the director happy (because a happy director might remember you for his next commercial shoot), our intrepid number 0 said yes, he could absolutely do a cartwheel across the stage. So the camera begins to roll, and 0 takes a couple of halting steps (range of motion in these costumes was a joke), and begins a cartwheel, realizing too late that his arms are forced forward because of the costume, and he cannot get them over his head, and so what hits the stage is not his hands but the top of his skull. For one awful second he was frozen in that upside down position, before collapsing in on himself like a jelly donut with its filling suddenly, violently sucked out of it. Many hands rushed to the stage, to see if 0 was still alive, which would determine whether they gave him medical treatment, or whisked his corpse away to a rock quarry somewhere far out of town.
     0 survived the incident, and I think the first half of his failed attempt at a cartwheel actually made it into the final spot. I lost five pounds (mostly water), and required an IV drip to rehydrate, two numbers went down with heat exhaustion, and 0 sustained a mild concussion. All in the name of a lottery commercial.
     See? This shit is as glamorous as you think it is.
     Notice that I did not say, “All in the name of art.”  To me, making commercials isn’t art. Me saying that might piss some people off, but I don’t care. It’s my opinion, which is just like my asshole, in that I have one, just like you, and I am entitled to it. (My opinion, I mean. Not my asshole. Which is to say that I feel philosophically entitled to my opinion, given the whole free-will argument, and the First Amendment. I feel no similar sense of entitlement about my asshole, though I am grateful for it, and try not to take it for granted. And I realize I have now spent way too much time talking about my opinion. And my asshole.) My point is, to me making commercials is craft. I would go so far as to say that the best commercials are examples of good storytelling. But not art. Predator 2 is more art than any commercial I ever made.
     Which is not to say that I do commercials because I can’t act. When I first started in this business, I had the grandest of plans. I’d moved to Dallas to do commercials for a year or two, build up my resume, and then head out West to do sit-coms, and movies. But I don’t think I ever considered myself an “artist,” even then. Acting to me has always been a job – a craft, like I said. And it’s a job I’ve done for over twenty years. If I sucked at it, I probably wouldn’t have been at it so long. That would be like a chef running the same restaurant for twenty years, even though he was regularly poisoning the guests with his shitty food.
     The truth is, I like doing commercials. I LOVED doing a television series, and if the right one came along I’d jump all over it again, but I’m not disappointed that what I’ve mostly made is thirty and sixty-second little stories. It’s a different kind of acting challenge to have to create a believable character in the space of a minute or less. (Whether you like, despise, or pity the character is beside the point. The point is, are they believable?) That kind of thing requires good acting, and if you don’t believe me, take a look at the tidal wave of shitty commercials in the ether. I’m an actor, but please never call me an artist. Too many people I know who use that term for themselves don’t know how to wash clothes, or change a fucking tire.
     So, why haven’t you done more television shows and movies? A fair question, and one that I’ve only recently assigned any brain power to. My conclusions will probably disappoint you terribly, as they don’t involve drug addiction, murder, or living a double life as a Jason Bourne-like black ops agent (because that would be the most kick-ass excuse for not doing more in my career, ever). The truth is, I get bored easily. That’s why, if I ever do finish this book, let alone get it published, it’ll be a fucking miracle. I. Get. Bored. I can never do one thing for very long before I’m looking for something shiny. No, I don’t have ADD, or ADHD, or AIDS, or anything else. I simply believe that there is a lot of interesting shit in the world to see and do and experience, and I’m always afraid if I do one thing too long I’m going to miss it.
     The hardest working year of my life was the first season of Wishbone. We had 50 weeks to shoot 40 episodes of a show that was, from a production standpoint, like shooting a new movie every damn week. We averaged 60-65 hours a week when we were shooting, and that’s not counting the 8 to 10 hours I would spend in the studio on Saturdays. And it wasn’t the long hours, the weather challenges of working in Texas at any time of the year, the re-writes, the myriad of things that can and do go wrong on a film set.
      It was the fucking “normalcy” of going to the same job, every day. Doesn’t that sound stupid?
     I lived inside this one character for a whole year. Maybe Daniel Day-Lewis can do that shit standing on his head, but it almost drove me over the falls. By the end of that first year, I was giving serious consideration to strapping on a back-pack and doing the old Bruce Banner hitch hiking scene out of town. (If you never watched Bill Bixby in the TV series The Hulk, you don’t get that reference. Stop reading and go watch it right now. I can’t believe you’ve never seen that shit.) When the producers told me we might not shoot a second season, I wasn’t all that disappointed. I was exhausted. And I had no clue how to operate in polite society (I’d never had much of a clue, but being out of social circles for a year made it worse). I wanted – needed – to do something different.
     We did do a second season, far shorter than the first, and then it was over. I went from making a lot of money every week to making nothing at all, and believe you me, I would have given anything to get that “normalcy” back. The immortal 80s hair band Cinderella sums it up best: “Don’t know what you got ‘till it’s gone.” We did a year in New York, I befriended a mobster and learned some ju-jitsu, then we moved back and I started doing commercials in earnest. I suppose Wishbone was – and still is – art, of a sort. But I’m still no artist. I’m just a guy with a skill that made a small contribution to a larger idea. As legacies go, I guess that doesn’t suck.

     Next week, Chapter Twenty-One: Fuckin' Around With Fame

     Make a contribution to the book by clicking HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment