Thursday, April 7, 2016

Chapter Twenty-Four.

     Do you have any idea how fucking difficult it is for me to be sitting in front of a screen right now? It's Spring in Texas, and we're actually having a proper Spring, which means the temperatures are actually Spring-like (as opposed to temperatures that are considered "Summer" or "Deadly" to the rest of the country), it's perfect motorcycle weather, baseball is back, and somewhere there is a forlorn patio, waiting for me to sit down on it and drink margaritas until I believe I can actually speak Spanish. But I'm trying to publish a chapter a week of the book until I get to The End, after which I have no goddam idea if I'll even still feel like writing on this space (but probably yes), and so here's Chapter Twenty-Four coming at you.

     I borrowed heavily for this chapter from a piece I published on the blog right here, but it's still a decent insight into how I came to do what I do. By which I mean be funny. Not masturbation. Which I also have done, though not nearly as much these days, because I have a girlfriend. And now I'm very uncomfortably going to try and steer the conversation back to this week's chapter. And away from masturbation.

     Chapter Twenty-Four
On the Origins of Making Shit Up

   
 I am invariably asked about my early influences. Who was my inspiration? Who did I want to be when I was a kid? Well, first I thought I wanted to be Mel Blanc, until I saw a picture of Mel (pre-Internet, remember?), and I found him to be very old. I didn’t want to be old. Still, he had great character range and perfect timing. So yeah, he was an early influence.
Mighty Mel.
 So was the late, great Jonathan Winters, from whom I developed the love of making shit up as I went. You always got the feeling, watching Uncle Jonathan, that he was just as curious as you to see where the sketch was going and that he – like you – had no idea where that was. But he always got there.
Uncle Jonathan.
      I discovered Monty Python’s Flying Circus around the same time I discovered masturbation – which is to say that age 12 was a very good year for me. That was the first time I ever saw a group of people working together for the express purpose of being funny. I didn’t know what “creative collaboration” was back then; I only knew that it took all of those guys to make the show so good. Circus was also my first exposure to a culturally different kind of funny, and I can tie that experience directly to my love of history. As a twelve year-old American boy, I could watch sketches like Dead Parrot and Upper Class Twit of the Year and Cheese Shop, and understand that they were funny. But I wanted to know why English people thought they were funny. Python taught me that a real understanding of your audience can make what you’re doing even funnier. This was a huge influence for me as I began doing Wishbone, and learning that it wasn’t just little kids watching our show, but college students, parents, etc. I began to develop an irreverence in the character of the dog that played well to older viewers. I began to understand my audience, and I owe that nugget of wisdom to the Pythons. 
Funny fucking Brits. And one weird American.

      But the biggest influence of all – the guy who taught me that making shit up was not only funny, but could be done for a living - was Robin Williams.
     And I even got to meet him, once.
     There was some video industry award ceremony in Los Angeles, and Wishbone
had been asked to be a presenter. So the dog, the dog's trainer, our

producers and I got on a plane and went to California. I don't remember most of that

evening. I remember getting to see Kenny Loggins doing his sound check. I

remember Howie Mandel was the emcee, and he was an egotistical prick. The only

 other thing I remember from that evening was being backstage, just hanging

 around until we were told what to do, when the hairiest man I'd ever seen walked

 right up to Jackie Kaptan (Wishbone's trainer), and asked, very politely, "Is it okay if

I pet him?"

     And he knelt down to pet the dog. Three feet in front of me. The man whose

 comedic hurricane blew into my sails at an early age, and charted the only course I

 was ever going to take.

     In 1979, everybody knew who Robin Williams was. Literally. Everybody. 60 million people a week tuned in to watch Mork & Mindy. And when the show aired on Thursday night, I memorized every good line and repeated them all day Friday at O.A. Reaves Intermediate, in my sixth grade homeroom class. But what most of the god-fearing, conservative citizens of Conroe, Texas did NOT know about Mr. Williams was his cutting-edge, stream-of-consciousness, and very adult-themed stand-up material.
     My best friend, Steve Woodson, managed to get his hands on that album. Probably because his parents were way cooler than mine. We played the shit out of that record. When Williams opened his show impersonating a Russian doing a New York echo (“Helloooooo.........Shut the fuck up!”), that's when I knew. I had already cemented my reputation as the class clown. Robin showed me that I could take it further. He revealed to me that I could - if I chose - actually make my tiny part of the world just a little brighter; that I could make comedy stop being for me, and make it for all of them.
     Flash forward to 1997. A stupid video industry award show. Backstage. And he's on one knee, three feet in front of me, petting a dog. My long-distance mentor. My hero. And an opportunity I knew I would never, ever, have again:
     Me: Mr. Williams? 
    RW (standing and shaking my hand): Hello.
     Me: Thank you. For everything. You're the reason I decided to make my living being funny.
     RW: Wow. You're welcome. What an incredible thing to say.
    That was it. His handlers whisked him off to wherever he was supposed to be. I looked around at my friends, the people I had spent so much time with working on our own show. We were all blinking rapidly, like we'd just looked directly into the sun for a second. How many kids get to meet their hero?
     When I heard of his death by suicide in 2014, I was a hot fucking mess for days. Naturally, I thought about my father, and how it could be that now two of my male role models had checked out of this existence in the same manner. In the end, I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to look my comedy hero in his eye, and say, simply, thank you. Not “Oh my God, you’re so awesome!,” or “Where do you come up with this shit?”
     Just Thank You.

     
     Next Week, Chapter Twenty-Five: Gratitudinal Propers

     Make a contribution to the book by clicking HERE.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment