Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Chapter Twelve.

     So I'm trying to think of a good setup for this chapter. Instead I'm thinking about ten other things, none of which have anything to do with writing. I need to shave. I can't breathe out of one nostril. Why don't we have flying cars yet? I'm out of Scotch. Shit like that. So, while my brain runs right off the rails (again), you should sit back and enjoy the latest installment of my memoir, Making Sh*t Up: An Improvised Life. 

Chapter Twelve
Conroe, Rabid Were-Beasts, and Shitty Detective Work

Hi. I'm in your house. C'mon in.
   
 There are, as I have learned, consequences for making shit up. I’m not talking about lying. I’m talking about the kind of over-active imagination that can make for an awesome game of Cops and Robbers and Cowboys and Indians with Super Heroes and Super Villains, but that can also get away from you and make you one hundred percent convinced that a snarling, rabid were-beast is in your bedroom.
(I just realized that a theme is beginning to emerge in some of my stories about childhood. A rabies theme. Evidently rabies was an epidemic when I was a kid. At least that’s what I believed, because according to my mom every living thing could potentially give you rabies: a dog, a raccoon, the neighbor’s cat, the neighbors, every species of bird, unicorns and Sasquatch. Some times that shit would just drop out of the sky and land on you, and you were well and truly screwed. According to Mom, rabies would make you foam at the mouth and drive you homicidally insane, and the only way to prevent it was to stay inside, with the doors locked and the drapes drawn. I spent a few weeks living in my mother’s fears – Pink Floyd’s The Wall was still a few years away – then decided that if playing outside meant I had to die a horrible death from rabies because I was attacked by a deranged possum, that was far preferable to a life trapped indoors with Mom, watching soap operas. Way, way more preferable.)
     By the time our family landed in Conroe, I was pretty much over my worry about rabies and, for that matter, cooties. We moved out of the townhouse and settled into a run-down ramshackle on the other side of the tracks (for real – you had to cross the railroad tracks to get to my neighborhood). Dad had taken a night-shift job at the carbon black plant, and Mom was still working for the phone company then. We moved right next door to my Uncle Louie (my Paw Paw’s brother) and Aunt Rachel. Uncle Louie was what we call a “character,” and by that I mean he was slightly crazy and only had one arm. He only had one arm because when he was twelve he had an “accident” with a shotgun, and by “accident” I mean he was twelve and, like all twelve year old boys throughout history, had yet to grasp the full implications of a) proper respect for firearms, and b) his own mortality. And he blew his arm off with a shotgun.
     Paw Paw had found us the house. Not surprisingly, it was in his neighborhood, after he and Mee Maw had to sell the farm and moved to the suburbs of Houston. And even less surprisingly, our house was conveniently located next door to his half-mad brother, whose interest in shooting blue jays with a .22 rifle from his front porch was matched only by his desire to stick his nose across the fence and into my family’s business, to then report his findings, suspicions and prejudices back to Paw Paw. Which he did. Religiously.
     Summers in Conroe were different from summers on the farm. I used the word “suburb” earlier, but really, Conroe was just a sleepy little town forty miles north of Houston, that had no ambitions to be anything other than a sleepy little Texas town. The town was founded in 1881 by Issac Conroe, a former Union cavalry officer, and a lumberman. When he arrived in the nothingness north of Houston after the Civil War, he saw something others apparently did not. Pine trees. A shit load of them. So he built a sawmill, and the demand for lumber made him a very wealthy man. There was also crude oil north of Houston. So Oil and Lumber made a baby, and they named it Boomtown. For a period of a few glorious weeks in the 1930s, the little town of Conroe boasted more millionaires per capita – in the form of oil and lumber barons – than any other U.S. city. Elvis Presley performed at the high school football field in 1955. It was a high time, indeed.
     By the time we got to Conroe, the boomtown days were over. The pines had long been obliterated, and the lumber industry moved on. And in the 70’s the local oil economy came to a screeching halt. What remained for unskilled or uneducated laborers was the creosote plant (which smelled like Beelzebub’s asshole), or the carbon black plant. Both of these products were toxic in their own way, and my dad ended up with a graveyard shift at the carbon black plant, breathing nightly a material most health researchers now agree to be highly carcinogenic. One of the first mornings he came home from his shift, Uncle Louie damn near shot him with his blue jay gun. Dad was so thickly covered with soot and grime residue that Uncle Louie thought a giant black man was trying to break into the house.
     My point is, my sister and I had a lot of time to our selves, in particular late afternoons, when Dad was just leaving for work and Mom hadn’t got home yet. And here begins the tale of the rabid were-beast.
     I believe it was a summer afternoon. The first thing my sister and I would do after Dad left for work was put a record on my stereo and crank up the volume so we could hear it through the house. Then we would make sandwiches. We’d been playing all day (mostly outside), Dad slept through what would have been our lunch time every day, and we were too scared of waking him up to bang around in the kitchen while he was still asleep. (Bad shit tended to befall anybody who woke him prematurely.) So, by the time he left for work around 3PM, we were starving. We would dutifully wave goodbye as he backed down the long driveway of our house on Lakeshore Drive (it wasn’t a lake; it was a man-made pond, and it was infested with water moccasins), then push and shove each other to be first back in the house to get food. We couldn’t afford lunchmeat a lot of the time, and so I had adapted and learned to make my favorite sandwich: Kraft Miracle Whip on white bread. Larenda would make herself a PB&J, and we would stand in the kitchen and eat, with a scratchy album playing full blast from crappy little speakers at the other end of the house, where my room was. That was truce-time between my sister and I, maybe the one time of the day when we weren’t picking at each other or outright fighting. We ate our sandwiches and listened to music and didn’t speak; we were busy resting and fueling up for the shit we were going to give each other later in the day.
     On this particular afternoon we finished our sandwiches and both went back outside to play. I can’t remember what the hell she and her friend were doing, and I really didn’t care because my buddy Dean had brought over his brand new go-kart. It was yellow and shaped like a racing car. Actually, it kind of looked like the white-trash version of the Mach 5. I really wanted to take that go-kart for a spin, and Dean really wanted to play my hand-held Mattel Electronics Football game. Larenda and her buddy could have been playing with knives or rattlesnakes, and I wouldn’t have given a shit.
     Our property had a large oval dirt driveway in front of the house, which was perfect for drifting a go-kart around. I spent the afternoon as Speed Racer, careening around the driveway in Dean’s go-kart, always a hairs-breadth away from slamming into a tree or spinning into the ditch, while Dean sat under the carport and played a first-generation, shitty hand-held video game. (Looking back, that go-kart is probably what led to my deep, abiding love of muscle cars. My dream car is a 1972 Plymouth Barracuda, fully restored. If I ever sell this book, I will buy that car, drive it till the tires fall off, and be buried in it.) Thus went the afternoon, until Dean’s dad whistled him home from several blocks away. Larenda’s friend left at about the same time, and we were headed in to wash up and wait for Mom to get home. I opened the carport door that led directly into the kitchen – and heard a nightmarish sound coming from inside that immediately made me recoil in horror, slamming the door so hard I damn near tore it off its hinges.
     What I heard sounded like something large and alive, raking its claws down the walls of our house, while alternately hissing and spitting. And it was freaking loud. I looked at my sister, who was forming a question that died on her lips as she heard it too. She looked positively terrified, and I’m willing to bet I looked worse than that. Something loud and evil was inside the house. But what was it? And how the hell had it gotten in there? We listened to it for another minute, trying to make out if it was a dog (we didn’t own one at the time), but it sounded larger. And that terrible hissing and spitting was like scary, rabies-infected fingers on a chalkboard. That may have been the first time in our lives that my little sister looked to me to figure something out.
     I don’t think I had ever been brave on another’s behalf before that day. We stood under the carport for several long minutes. I desperately tried to think of some action to take. Obviously, we couldn’t go inside and use the phone to call Mom at work; we didn’t know what was in there, and whether or not it might like to eat children. It never occurred to me to go next door and get Uncle Louie, perhaps because I subconsciously didn’t want to add any more crazy to this already weird situation. I kept coming back to the question: how did a rabid creature get inside the house? (I had already concluded that, whatever it was, it must have rabies. The hissing and spitting were definitely homicidal in tone.) I decided to leave the carport and go around to the back of the house. We had a patio with a sliding glass door. Maybe I could see something, though I wasn’t at all excited about the prospect. With my luck, the rabid were-beast would turn its furry, fanged face and look directly at me just as I was approaching the patio door. It would lunge right through the glass, ensuring that I would be flayed with shards of spiky shrapnel and then devoured in my own backyard.
     Larenda was definitely not in favor of going around back. She wanted to stay rooted to the carport and wait for Mom to get home. Seeing her genuinely scared, I found this sudden, very unexpected need to protect my baby sister. That is a feeling that exists to this day, and was evident during her dating years, when a few of her poorer choices in boyfriends had sudden encounters with big brother in dark parking lots or, in one memorable case, while the asshole was at work. I told Larenda to stay on the carport, that I’d be right back. I moved around the side of the house, through the cyclone fence and into the backyard. As I edged along the brick, trying to stay flat against the side of the house, I tried imagining myself as a hero in one of the many games of Pretend that me and my buddies - Paul and Dean - played often during that summer. But I couldn’t. Because, in the words of Martin Lawerence in Bad Boys, This shit just got real.”
     I came up very slowly on the sliding glass door of the patio. And it was open. Like, all the way open. You could have driven a truck through the fucking thing, which, in my mind, was now the approximate size of the beast lurking in my house. And the scratching and hissing and spitting were even louder from here. I was just barely holding my shit in, and my first thought was to turn around, go back to the carport, fetch Larenda, and maybe go to Dean’s house. When Mom got home and we weren’t there, she’d call around. But wait. We had no way to warn her that something large and monstrous and evil was waiting inside for her. So that was out. Then I did the first brave thing I ever did in my life. I decided to go in.
     Let me be really clear here: I did NOT want to go in. I was pretty sure I was going to soil myself; I was almost as certain I was going to die. Fine, then. If the thing ate me, maybe it wouldn’t want my sister. I couldn’t go back to the carport and tell her my plan, because she would have cried and begged me not to, and that racket would have undoubtedly drawn the creature to our location. I positioned myself just outside the sliding door, back pressed so hard into the brick I actually bruised myself, and waited. And listened. SCRRRRAAAAATCH!! HIIISSSSSSSSSS!! And, this close to the open door, I smelled something. Something burnt. The stench was god-awful, and that’s when I knew I was dealing with a creature quite possibly not of this earth. I watched Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom from the time I was old enough to understand television until it went off the air. And never once did I see or even hear of a creature that made these kinds of terrifying noises, and reeked this badly. Marlon Perkins knew his shit, and he would have warned us of such a beast.
     When I finally spun through the door, I screamed “Alright, fudge face!!!” at the top of my lungs. To this day, I have absolutely no idea why I uttered that particular phrase. It was literally the un-coolest thing I could have said in that situation. Fudge face?  Who the fuck says THAT? How many heroes of action movies do you know who ever called somebody “fudge face?” You think Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris ever said that shit? My first moment of real courage, and I had to go and take a dump on it with a crappy entrance line.
     Maybe I just needed to shout something – anything – to get me over the threshold. I was now inside the house, and right away understood that the scratching and hissing was coming from the back of the house. Down the hall. The smell was really strong. I almost gagged. But I figured I’d come this far. No turning back now. I crept down the hall to the back of the house, the otherworldly noise growing louder with each step. My heart was in my throat, and my balls had retreated north to my stomach. My parents’ bedroom was right across the hall from mine. They kept their door shut all the time, but mine was wide open. The fucking thing was in my room.
     The stench of rotten, burnt death was in my nostrils, and the sound of my terrible, impending doom was in my ears. It was then I understood the samurai maxim, “Common sense will not accomplish great things. Simply become insane and desperate.” (I read The Book of Five Rings when I was nine.) I figured saving my baby sister’s life would be a great thing so, desperate and probably a little insane, I spun through the doorway into my bedroom.
     No rabid were-beast. No half-eaten, bloody corpses strewn about. Everything was exactly as I’d left it. My Farah Fawcett poster was still watching over my stuff. I looked over at my dresser, and noticed that my stereo was on. At the end of an album, the turntable arm was supposed to automatically return to the rest position. Except it hadn’t. The needle just kept scraping over the last bit of vinyl on the record, occasionally moving over the label and producing an amplified scratch and hiss. A sound that, in the playground of my overactive imagination, had become a rabid were-beast crouched in my room, and waiting for a victim. I was relieved for several moments before embarrassment set in.
     When I opened the door to the carport I found Larenda, right where I’d left her. I said, simply, “It’s okay.” When I told her what the sound had been, she didn’t laugh at me, or make fun of me. The only thing I saw in her eyes was gratitude. We never talked about it after that day. We never told Mom or Dad about it. I eventually found out that the stench in the house was from Dad over-boiling eggs to the point where the water completely evaporated and the eggs exploded. He’d turned off the A/C and opened the patio door before he’d left for work. I didn’t stop making shit up after that day, either. Something down deep told me never to give up my fertile imagination. Though I did start reading a lot more Arthur Conan Doyle. Because even a half-assed detective could have figured out that there never was a rabid were-beast in my room. I may have learned that I could be brave, but I also learned I was no Sherlock fucking Holmes.

     Next Week, Chapter Thirteen: Spear Hunting on a Budget.

     Make a contribution to the book by clicking HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment